Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tammy's Birthday

Today was Tammy's birthday. I told her that we could do anything that she wanted to. Not to say that she does whatever she wants anyway, but it was a good sentiment. In any case, we started by going out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse, and ate what we eat best -- prime rib.

Tangent #1: As a nice little tangent, Tammy never really was much for eating meat. In fact, I don't think she ever even had prime rib before we had met. And, if she had steak in the past, she would always get it well-done. Well, I am proud to say that I have turned her to the good-side of cooking meat -- medium rare! Well, she will only willingly eat medium rare meat if it is prime rib. If it is steak, she wants it cooked a little longer. She tells me that it is still mooing.

Tangent #2 As it turns out, steaks and prime rib are actually pretty safe to eat on the rare side. The reason why is because no blade has touched the inside of the meat, only on the outside. So, as long as you cook the outside of the steak long enough, any bacteria that existed at the butcher shop will be killed. Hamburger, on the other hand, is ground up, smished and smashed, and touches the blade a million times, which makes it potentially dangerous, and why hamburgers must be cooked throughly. Well done burgers is the only way it can be done. Although, I remember a time when you used to be able to order a hamburger from Red Robin, and they would ask you how you would like your meat cooked. The first time they asked me, I was like, well done, of course. I then asked them if people really asked for anything but well done, and they said that people did. Well, they don't ask that anymore.

Back to the birthday... after dinner, we went shopping. Tammy told me earlier in the week that all she wanted was to go shopping for her birthday. I said, "Yes, I am off the hook for having to go look for something on my own!" So, we went shopping. Sadly, we didn't buy a thing! Tammy said that she was going to go home empty handed. I told her that she really wouldn't be going home empty handed. Heh heh.

After shopping for a bit, we went to go watch "Mamma Mia" at The Distict. I turned out to be a pretty good movie. It was cool to see one of the old James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) singing a tune or two.

All in all, it was a pretty good birthday; and, it wasn't even mine!

5 comments:

Zaphod said...

You just cant let the meat thing go, can you? Here I am suffering from whatever it is that I have, spontaneously drooling every time I pass by anything that sound like mooing in the distance, and you blog about iron-rich MEAT. Maybe I should take up Mountain Dew.

Zaphod said...

And dont say anything about "sound" needing an "s". All that does is make me think of eating rattlesnake.

Anonymous said...

Steaaaaaaaaaakkkk...I LOVE TRI-TIP STEAK...I would eat it everyday if I could afford it. Yum....Sepjik!

Katscratchme said...

xgmtp... the sound(s) my stomach makes while digesting tri-tip.. and other meaty meat...

... meat....

Chris said...

Next time I will think twice about talking about meat. Next time I will pull a Homer instead and talk about donuts.