Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Construction

The other day as we were driving home from the Labor Day festivities at Grandma Smith's house, Caleb noticed that there were construction workers working late at night.

Caleb said, "Dad, do construction workers work all night?"
And I said, "Sometimes they do. Especially if they are trying to meet a deadline."
Caleb then said, "Well, I don't want to be a construction worker then. That would be hard work. I want to be the person that draws the buildings for construction workers."
I then said, "Oh, you want to be an architect then. That is good."

Caleb has always wanted to be a construction worker, but now that he has seen a glimpse of the hard reality of construction, he still wants to be a part of it, but not the "hard stuff."

Sometimes Caleb and I play games upstairs in the playroom. We pretend that one of us is the foreman, and the other person is the construction worker. We take turns "hiring" and "firing" each other to get the job done. We usually play this when we are putting the toys away, and if Caleb is shuffling his feet, I tell him, "YOU'RE FIRED!!!!" He then looks at me all sad until I say, "OK, you're hired. Get to work!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love that! I can just see Caleb's sad little face when you say he is fired...awww..

Trillium said...

Wow! When I was not yet five years old, I had NO concept of growing up and having a job. Hooray for Caleb, the architect!

Zaphod said...

Hmmmm.. the Donald Trump of the playroom.

Katscratchme said...

I can actually "hear" you say "Your Fired!" LOL!
I don't know how old I was when I decided that I was going to be a veterinarian... but I do remember how old I was when I decided it was not such a good idea. 15... I was babysitting, watching a surgery video and nearly heaved. The blood wasn't so bad.. it was the bone.. and the surgical tools are just creepy.... *jibblies*