Saturday, September 6, 2008

Doppleganger Blankets

I remember the day that we were walking around in Target shopping, and we were in the baby section. We were looking for a blanket for Jacob. We found several, and gave them to Jacob as he was sitting in the shopping cart. He would take each one and fondle it for a minute, and then throw it away or drop it on the floor. We kept giving him new blankets, and he would hold them momentarily, and repeat the process. Then, at last, we gave him one, and he held it for a moment, and then rubbed it against his face, and then leaned forward and put his head on it. And started sucking his thumb. It was the one.

Ever since that day, he carried that blanket everywhere. And, he is very protective of the blanket. He will not share it with anyone. The problem with having such a possession is that if it gets dirty and needs to be washed, he can't stop thinking about it, and wants it, no matter what he tell him about it being dirty and being washed. It goes back to the discussion that you always want what you can't have. So, we thought to ourselves, let's get a second identical blanket! Then, we will always have a blanket to give him.

So, we bought a second blanket, and kept it out of sight. We weren't sure what would happen if he saw the second blanket and he was holding the first. Would he wonder if one of them was an imposter? A doppleganger? And, if you didn't know, if a doppleganger meets itself, both will cease to exist and suddenly disappear!

So, we took really good care of making sure that only one was visible at all times. But then one day, I thought to myself, I want to see what will happen. What is the worst that can happen? And, I will never know unless I try.

So, while Jacob was holding his blanket, I asked him if I could have it, and he said no, while he was sucking on his thumb. I said, okay. And I went and got the second blanket, and started sucking my thumb. Jacob looked at his blanket, then looked at my blanket, and smiled at me. He must have thought it was some sort of magic trick. Then, we wanted both! He didn't care if one was an imposter or a doppleganger or not. He just wanted both of them.

But here is the real questions. Which one is the original and which one is the doppleganger? Now that we have washed both several times, even I don't know which one is the original and which one is the doppleganger. But, to Jacob, a blanket is a blanket is a blanket.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a yellow blanket once...It was soft, and warm, and the corners were all grey from where I would stuff them in my nose while I sucked on my fingers...and then, one day, it disappeared...that was a sad day...but my misery only lasted as long as my walk to the linen closet. I pulled out one of mom and dad's queen size quilts and wandered off with it, stuffing the corner up my nose.

Katscratchme said...

I never had a blanket, that I know of... I guess I was never really attatched to something like that when I was a kid. It's kindof sad in a way.

Zaphod said...

All I had was a canvas tarp. It was really hard on my nose, but I never got wet in the rain.

Rebecca's Oasis said...

None of my children have had a blanket that they drug around the house and wouldn't give up - until Evan discovered a blanket that I had purchased in Mexico about 20 years ago. He wore out the edging and I attempted to sew a new one on. Now it is in a plastic tote for future repair.