Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mortimer Snerd





My wife has in her possession a Mortimer Snerd ventriloquist doll. To be honest, I've never liked any dolls bigger than barbie dolls. Not to say that I like barbie dolls either, but they don't quite freak me out like the bigger dolls do.




I remember Mom and Becky had these porcelain dolls that would open and close their eyes when you laid them down and then stood them back up. Every time I picked one up, I half expected it to take a life of its own and say something to me.

This could have been due to the watching Twilight Zone series when I was a kid. I remember watching one where this doll named Talky Tina would say stuff like "My name is Talky Tina and I'm beginning to hate you" and "My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you."


Anyway, a couple of years ago when Caleb was only 2 years old, I remember seeing this Mortimer Snerd doll in the closest, and I asked Caleb if he could see "the man" up in the closet. He said he could. I pulled it down, and started moving the mouth with the little strings in the back, and started talking to Caleb. I said, "Hi Caleb, how are you?" Caleb would just look at it with a blank stare. But then I couldn't resist. I said, lowering my voice "Caleb, I am going to get you!" and started moving the doll towards Caleb and opened the mouth and put it on Caleb's foot. Caleb immediately started to scream and cry. I know, I know. Mean trick.












Ever since then, I would ask Caleb if he wanted to play with "the man" up in the closet. He would always say, "No, Dad, I don't want to play with that man" and get nervous. But, I always pulled it down anyway. I just love, love, LOVE to tease. After awhile, Caleb started getting more brave and wanted to get the man, and tease Jacob with it. However, it didn't have the same effect on Jacob. Jacob gets more scared with the idea of someone throwing him down the stairs than freaky dolls that might get him.











So, I am sad to say that this trick has been all played out. But, it was truly was one of the best teases. As all those who tease know, the tease is only as good as the reaction that ensues.

7 comments:

Katscratchme said...

Now, that is just beyond creepy... *jibblies!!!*

leafhopper said...

Torment I tell ya! If our children have issues you know why.

Anonymous said...

Eeeeya...I don't like dolls either. I have been contemplating getting a baby doll for Eva, and the only one I am okay with is a stuffed animal kind of doll. I had to look at a whole bunch that didn't give me the heebie geebies. Dolls are sick.
"Clopy": The sound of doll feet coming after you!

Zaphod said...

I really liked Mortimer. I grew up with Mortimer. Edgar Bergan (Candice Bergan's father) was a funny as could be with Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd. Edgar was a gifted ventriloquist. The most famous line that I can remember, one that I like to do from time to time is, "and after that we're going to the zoo... yup, yup, yup!"

nlvkxyzg: The sound that Chucky makes just before giving an involuntary phlebotomy

Angela said...

You sound like me, Chris. I have on video of me teasing Tierra at 2 years with a big fuzzy spider that on the end of a pump I held in my hand and it would make the spider jump. I put it down her shirt. Evil. No wonder she is petrified of spiders. Just don't be dumb and video this stuff for evidence against you.

Angela said...

Tell me, how do you get these pictures from the web on your blog...so confusing and frustrating for me.

Chris said...

@Mommajo: Yeah, I shoule have video taped it. It would have been cool to watch it now. I can only play it over and over in my head.

As far as getting the pics from the web, I just save them on my computer, and then upload them. The only issues that I have had is with getting them to appear in the right place. The edit post screen isn't the best to work with.