Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Computer Guru

There are woes in being a computer guru. Once people find out, everyone and their dog want you to fix their computer, and for free or next to nothing. Family is no exception. I don't mind helping family, it's the other people. Just kidding.

On Sunday, after settling back in from our camp-out, I received a call from my sister-in-law Brenda. She started telling me of a problem she encountered when she plugged the memory card from her digital camera into the computer as it was booting up. That's when all hell broke loose, and a barrage of error messages flashed on the screen. After she was done being click-happy, she was sore to find out that all the pictures on her memory card were deleted! So, she decided to give me a call, since she knew that I was a computer guru.

I asked her to check in My Computer, and then do properties on the disk to see if the size was greater than 0. She did, and reported that more than 1/2 of the drive was full, approximately 400 MB of data. But, when you looked in the folder, she stated that it was empty. I asked her to bring the card to me, and told her that I would see what I could do.

Once she brought the disk over, I confirmed that the disk, indeed, was not empty. I then proceeded with several diagnostics and was able to recover file fragments. But, I was unable to see them outside of the utilities. The utilities said that they were in the folder named 'FOUND.000', even though this folder was not viewable in the directory outside of the utility. The file fragments were named File0000.CHK, File0001.CHK, and so on, sequentially numbered. But, there was nothing that I could do to recover these files.

I puzzled over this Sunday and Monday nights, spending several hours. Finally, tonight on Tuesday night, I was able to recover the files. It was a painstaking and unweildy process. But, I was able to recover the precious photos from our recent campout. I must admit, it was well worth the effort. Very good pics. And, I learned some valuable skills in recovering lost data. Maybe I could get a job with the government with these skills. The government likes people with skills.

4 comments:

Taliban said...

DEAR RECEIVER,

You have just received a Taliban virus. Since we are not so technologically advanced in Afghanistan, this is a MANUAL virus. Please delete all the files on you hard disk yourself and send this mail to everyone you know.

Thank you very much for helping me.

Chief Hacker
Taliban

Trillium said...

Do you personally know who "taliban" is? Or is he another creepy crawler? How come the creepy crawlers are suddenly swarming out of the swamp?

JIBBLIES!!

Rebecca's Oasis said...

creapy crawlers are yucky

I haven't called you yet for help.

DebbieLou said...

Dave got one of those taliban comments the other day. Pretty funny, I must admit.

Boy Chris, you are talened, not to mention a genious! (Figuring all that out yourself even.) I would never by able to figure out something like that. I only do what Dave shows me with technological gismos. I'm afraid to ruin anything!