Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Achilles Tendon


I noticed yesterday that a have this little bump on my right achilles tendon. It is a little sore and squishy when I press on it, and appears to be swelling a little around it.
I did a little research and found that this is one of those places that you have to be really careful not to get injured. You definitely do not want to get achilles tendonitis, otherwise you may be down for the count. So, for the last couple of days, I have been really good about stretching my legs multiple times during the day, which is really helpful because my calfs have been feeling really tight lately. Also, since I have a desk job, when I stand up after a couple of hours, I feel like I can barely walk, and have to take it easy (I am getting old!).
Another thing that I noticed in particular of how sore I am. Not just my legs, but my whole body (shoulders, arms, legs, etc.). I know that it was due to my amazing run on Monday. My body just wasn't used to it, and as many runners know, running really pounds your body. I am still "on" for tomorrow, and I will be sure to warm-up real good, and then stretch; and, after the run, to cool-down and stretch again. I need to avoid injury at all costs! I found some really good runner exercises, so that should help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Missy told me once that you should hold stretch for at least 30 seconds, but no more than a minute, because you can actually damage your muscles by stretching too much...Hope that helps! I always think of that when I am stretching. :P

Trillium said...

You should NOT stretch before warming up! Only stretch warmed up muscles! The most important stretching is following "cool down" at the end of running. Stretching should not be painful.

Rebecca's Oasis said...

mom's right, only stretch warmed up muscles

i used to do a little warmup jog on the treadmill before I did my intense yoga :)

a warmed up core and muscles helps with exercies ;)