Today was donut day at my kids school. We tried to get there early to beat the rush, but there were already over 50 people there. But, we still got a good spot to sit and shoot the breeze. It is fun to go to these events. I like to joke about where the ninjas are hiding in his school.
After donuts, we had to go to the book fair in the library, and pick out a book. As we got in line to pay, there was this hispanic man who was buying a book for his daughter. He pulled out a big bag of coins and dumped it out in a huge heap. I was like, holy crap, that's a lot of coins. I started feeling bad for the guy because this is probably all the money this guy has to buy something nice for his daughter. After the coins were all counted, it came to $5.07, and not quite enough to buy the books. I thought what would I do if he didn't have enough. I thought about handing over the extra cash to help the poor guy out. But, at the last second, the man pulled out a $5 dollar bill. Then, when I came up to the cash register, the cashier apologized for the wait, but said isn't it neat that the girl brought her own money to buy the book! Her dad just paid what was left.
It's funny how you make assumptions that end up being totally wrong. I then told my son that he should have brought his own money too! Well, I don't mind buying books. Especially since he is above his grade level in reading.
We also had Parent Teacher Conference tonight, and I found out that he is on reading level O, where most of his class is less than H. I'm glad that he has taken such an interest in reading books, as my interest is somewhat lacking. I mean, I want to read books, but seldom make the time. Ho hum.
4 comments:
What kind of books does he like? Does he have favorites?
Donut day is a good idea. They should have a national donut day every month...
Good for Caleb! That is so great!
As far as your own interest goes, maybe you just need to find a genre you like. Jeremy isn't very interested in reading either, so I picked up a whole variety of books, and we are reading "SHE" (adventure) by Haggard (Same guy who wrote "Alan Quartermain"), and so far he's enjoying it. Of course, we're only on chapter 2, but I have high hopes. :)
doesn't it make you all warm and fuzzy in side when your kids are the ones that are excelling in the classroom above the rest! :)
I love that feeling
He likes anything about spies, army, egyptians, etc.
Post a Comment