Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

So, I woke up extra early today to mosey on down to get my first bountiful basket. I can't say that I was giddy as a schoolboy, but I was feeling a little bit like waking up on Christmas morning. I took my laundry basket and hopped into the car. I drove down to the secret location and whispered the secret code word to the informant, and passed into the inner sanctum, and after the three trials I finally made it to the lucious bountiful horde of fruits and veggies!!!

Since this was my first time, I was treated like a V.I.P. and one of the volunteers said to me, "Follow me, I will take you to the goods." We weaved in and out of the treasure trove, and finally made it to a row of baskets. We stopped at one, and he motioned to one of the baskets and said, "Here you go, this is yours."

I looked down and was somewhat elated and then a little deflated. "This is all?" I ask. "Where is the bountfiul booty?" He looked at me with a puzzled look. I then said, "Come on mate, isn't this bountiful baskets???" He then said with a loud shout, "Take it and be gone!"

I quickly loaded up my basket, and left the premises, and drove away.

Here is a list of what I received. I also include the value of what I see in Smiths ads in parenthesis, and my estimated value in brackets. It definitely is at least worth $15 (what I paid), but I think it is a stretch to say that it is worth $50.

1 bunch brocoli (1.29/lb) [$2.00]
1 bunch cauliflower (1.29/lb) [$2.00]
1 bunch celery (1.79) [$1.79]
1 bunch asparagus (1.98/lb) [$1.98]
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch swiss chard
4 tomatoes (2 for $6)[$12.00]

1 cantaloupe (.99/lb) [$2.00]
3 mangos (.89/ea) [$2.70]
5 apples (1.00/lb) [$4.00]
7 bananas (0.49/lb) [$1.00]
15 clementines

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get grapes or strawberries. Based on the Smiths ad, the tomatoes are what probably cost the most.

Does anyone know what swiss chard is? At first I thought it was rubbarb.

The mangos, for me, are the icing on the cake. I remember on my mission, there was a mango tree at one of the elders apartment, and whenever we went there, we would gourge ourselves with the fruity goodness. I have a funny joke to tell you about mangos. The next time you see me, ask me to tell you it.

So, I ended up with a decent bargain. I'll definitely do it again. Maybe next time, I will try the 5 loaves of 9 grain bread for $10, or the fully organic produce for an additional $10. Options. It's all about the options.

Here is a pic of the goods. You can click on it to enlarge the photo.


3 comments:

Trillium said...

I signed up for Bountiful Baskets in February for the first time--just to see if it was all it was cracked up to be. Plus at that time I also bought the 5 loaves of bread. Everybody in the family really liked the bread. As for the basket of produce, I got a lot more than you got, but the big bunch of spinach went to waste, as did most of the little green apples, and some of the other produce as well. I have not ordered any more Bountiful Baskets since that first time. I decided it was only a bargain if you ate it all. I gave some of it away, too. We have a Sunflower market near our house. I'm thinking that they may be where I should shop for produce in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I might try that just to see what it's like. And that's a killer deal for the bread! I didn't realize they did that down in Utah Valley, so it's worth a shot, right??

And since you asked, and I didn't know either:
Chard, also known by the common names Swiss chard[1], silverbeet, perpetual spinach, spinach beet, crab beet, seakale beet, and mangold, is a leafy vegetable, and is one of the cultivated descendants of the sea beet, Beta vulgaris subsp. maritima. Although the leaves are eaten, it is in the same species as beetroot (garden beet), which is usually grown primarily for its edible roots.[2]

So I imagine you just chop it up and throw it in a salad, or put it in a sandwich, or into your green smoothies. :D

Zaphod said...

Swiss chard is what you get when a Swiss chalet burns down.