Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wake up call

Today was a major wake up call. I decided that instead of doing my P90X routine this morning, I would hit the open roads and run a mile around the block. I anticipated the run perhaps with a little too much gusto. I thought that I was pacing myself, but I am not quite sure how fast I was going. Up to this point, all of my 5k training has been on a treadmill, so each interval I knew exactly how fast and how long I was running. On the open roads, I only had my interval timer, so I don't know how fast I was going. I think I was going a little faster than normal because even though I made it back to my house in 13 minutes, I walked during a lot of the run interval; and, I have been training at a 12 minute mile on the treadmill. This was a good test and a needed wake up call, because running on the roads is definitely different than running on a treadmill. I'll need to figure out a way to determine my pace on the roads, and adjust accordingly. Perhaps on the next open-road run, I will have to take a down a notch in order to make it through each interval. And, I may need to incorporate more open-road runs. My lungs also feel like they were worked differently than when I train on the treadmill.

3 comments:

Trillium said...

Running on a treadmill is definitely different from running on natural surfaces. So hang in there!

Anonymous said...

And you should stop running behind cars... :D

Rebecca's Oasis said...

keep it up! I have a work out plan for a 12k that I hope to get to after i recover from my fall!

Good Luck!