Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Over pronation

I went to the Salt Lake Running Company today to do a bio-mechanical analysis on how I run. The way it works is that they video tape you running on a treadmill, and analyze it in slow motion to determine how you run. They told me that I over pronate. See pic below.



Here is my pronation range:


As seen on the right hand side of the picture, I run like a girl. Kidding! Well, the salesman said that I am actually inbetwwen normal and pronation, but I should get a over-pronation shoe. He also told me the shoes that I was running in weren't actual running shoes and were cross-trainers. I tried on a few different shoes and ended up buying a pair of Asics Gel Duo Max GT 2150 ($100). I also paid a little extra and got some shoe inserts for my high arch ($35). So far, all of my running has been on the treadmill, which is relatively safe. It's just a good thing that I didn't try running on the roads without real running shoes. I might have injured myself. So, I am a little excited now to try out these new shoes.


BTW, this morning I did fine on my W5D1 (week 5 day 1) of the C25K (Couch to 5k) program, even though I skipped week 4. I was fine for the first two jog intervals. My heart rate was in the aerobic zone for both, but when I did my third, my heart rate jumped up into the anerobic zone, which was a little tough, but I made it! We'll see how my next session goes with the new shoes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like it hurts....I should go and do that! Of course, I hate running so there really wouldn't be a point.

Chris said...

Well, the cool thing about the C25K program is that anyone can run. Ya know, just like what Anton Gusteau says that anyone can cook. Same thing. LOL.

Trillium said...

Ah! To be young again! :D

Rebecca's Oasis said...

that's pretty cool! Did the sales person also explain to you that shoes are only good for 6 months?

You might wants to invest in some running shoe stock. :)

I made the same mistake with my first pair of shoes. I purchased cross trainers and ended up having some issues because of the running that I was doing. Now I have a really good pair of running shoes - i like them so much i wear them to work