Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Truck Battery

After I came home from the dentist, I noticed that the truck wasn't home, so I thought, "Hmmm, the wife and the kids must be somewhere fun. Now I can do some more blogging." But, to my surprise, my wife and the kids were home. I asked, "Where is the truck?" My wife then proceeded to tell me that the truck wouldn't start when she was at her mother's house. The funny thing is that this only happens to Tammy. It happened a few months back with the car (that is also worthy of a future blog). User error. I tell Tammy that she must turn the key to start the car/truck. LOL.

So, I drive the car over to my mother-in-laws house to check things out. As it turns out, the truck, indeed, does not start. It tries to turn over, but doesn't. So, I head on over to Sam's Club to get a new battery. I return, install it, and away I go.

I remembered that the last time I had changed the truck battery was when David lived here. Back then, I was a bit of a noob when it came to something as trivial as changing a battery. Especially when I got snubbed when I was trying to change the tire on Tammy's car after Emily got married. I'll have to save that story for another blog. Anyway, I remembered that Dave had changed my battery, and I remember how "expert" he was, and knew how to do everything, and was very effecient. I think the whole thing took him less than 10 minutes. At the time, Dave told me to put the receipt in the little pouch on the battery, so if something happened, I could take the battery back. A very good idea because if you didn't, you would probably misplace or lose the receipt. So, I checked the battery and could see that the receipt was still in the little pouch. A time capsule, I thought. I opened the pouch, and unfolded the receipt, and looked at the date: 04/09/02. This battery lasted me 6 years and 4 months. Not bad for a battery. I think most batteries will last less than 5 years. I'll have to ask David if he remembers when he changed my battery, and if he can tell me the month or year. If he can't, I will tell him that I remember the EXACT DAY. Maybe I could place a wager or a bet on it, make it worth my while. LOL.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were snubbed? I want to hear that story!

Trillium said...

We had a green station wagon in Indiana. One day I drove it from our house to the nearest store a couple of miles away and as I pulled into a parking space, one of the front tires fell off! The tire also fell off once when I arrived home and pulled into the drive way. This never happened to your father, and it never happened while we were driving to Church or anywhere fast. If it had happened while on the freeway ... well, needless to say, I felt watched over because it could have ended up very tragically.

Hey Emily: blpkvvz [blip-kvitz=something on Jewish radar?]

Trillium said...

Come to think of it, I had lots of experiences with cars that died as I pulled into the driveway at home. The car waited until I was safely at home before it quit. :)

Chris said...

That is some good car karma.

Katscratchme said...

I want to hear the snubbing story too! I hope I wasn't the one who snubbed. I seem to remember almost passing out in the heat though.

Mom! Good word! I don't think I would have been as clever on that one. Right now mine is ijthe.. and I can't think of anything. :(

Zaphod said...

I'm always surprised when the battery dies. I am further surprised when I go to replace it that the guys at the store usually say, "Wow, we haven't seen one of those in about 20 years. Where did you get it?"