Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dentistry Work

I went to the dentist today for my regular 6 month checkup. I was pleased to hear that my teeth looked good, and I had no new cavities. Actually, it's kind of hard to have any new cavities when all your teeth have already been filled. Everytime you went to the dentist as a kid, you had 3 -4 cavities that had to be filled.

So, after 10 plus years and 40 cavities, all your teeth were already filled! Hard to get any more cavities, unless you grew new teeth. Looking back, it sure was cool that you got all the cavities you could get when you were a kid, because your parents paid for it, and not you.

Or, so it would seem. After the dental hygenist said what a great job I had done, the actual dentist gave me a quick look, and to my demise, two fillings were cracked and needed to be replaced. He said that after 30 years they just plum wear out. So, as it turns out, if I didn't get those cavities as a kid, I wouldn't be replacing those fillings 30 years later!

The only good that is coming out of this is that my silver fillings will be replaced with white fillings. SO, at least every time I open my mouth, no one will be able to see that I have a filling.

Also, as I was sitting in the chair during my cleaning, weird thoughts were going through my head that almost made me laugh. You know, like.. what would the hygentist do if I bit her fingers? Or, what would the hygentist do if I started licking her fingers? I didn't do either one of these things (thank goodness), but it sure is crazy how when your mind wanders, and the crap that you think about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I want to lick my dental hygienist now...I think I should just to see what she does...LOL! You are so great Chris!

Trillium said...

When I was a little kid (9-10 years old), I was so afraid of the dentist that I wouldn't open my mouth. They pleaded, begged, bribed, and threatened. But I was so terrified that I couldn't MAKE myself open my mouth! So, sad. I was always grateful that my own kids were not like me.

Chris said...

Actually, Tammy has a pretty good story about the dentist when she was a kid. She was so scared that she literally threw up on the dentist!

Katscratchme said...

I'm scared of the dentist Mom.. but I have an unusual fear of authority figures and do whatever they say most of the time so I don't get grounded.
I'm due for my annual (more like 7 year) checkup in October... I'm totally spoiled on the knockout drugs they gave me for my wisdom teeth removal, so I'm sure I'll be sweating bullets when October comes round.

Zaphod said...

Whenever I begin having anxiety about the dentist I always remember that scene in one of the Pink Panther movies where Peter Sellers is attempting to take one of Dryfus' teeth out while using Nitrous oxide. It has to be the funniest scenes ever filmed.