Thursday, August 28, 2008

SNUBBED!

OK, ok, it sounds like my fan base wants to hear the story of the time that I got snubbed. I'm going to take you back, way back, to a time before I married Tammy. In fact, it was when Emily got married in Vegas back in good ol' 1999. Back before Y2K.

So, there we were, in Vegas, driving back to St. George, when FOOBU-fububu-loobu-loobu-lulu. It sounded like we got a flat tire. So, I pulled over to the side of the road expecting a flat tire. Instead, the tread was coming off the tire. Before this time, I had NEVER changed a tire. But, I thought to myself that I would show my bride-to-be, that I was a "man" and could replace the tire, no problem. So, I pulled out the jack and the lug-nut thingie, and proceeded to take off the lugnuts. But, they were really tight, and wouldn't budge. So, I exerted a little more effort, and SNAP, it went free. However, to my demise, what snapped free wasn't the lugnut, it was the whole thing: lugnut and bolt. I thought to myself and under my breath said "Holy crap!" But, I said to myself, well, there is 4 more lugnuts to go. I bet I can get the rest off. Then, on the second attempt, I went to the direct opposite and attempted to free this lugnut. Once again, I hear a SNAP and it is free. However, once again, to my demise, the whole lugnut and bolt broke off. Once again, I thought and muttered to myself, "HOLY CRAP!!" Then, I started getting really worried. So, I started on the third one, and SNAP again!!!!!! Three lugnuts snapped off! We only had 2 left. And I was feeling pretty defeated. So, I stood up and looked dumbly at the tire, the car, the freeway, the godforsaken sun at 100+ degrees and thought, what am I going to do now!

After what seemed like an eternity of looking at the car, Victor and Becky pulled up behind us. I told them what happened, and Victor proceeded to tell me the ins-and-outs of changing a tire, especially on a damn hot day in Vegas. In any case, he said that it was no big deal, and said that we could still take care of it. We changed the tire, and drove to St. George. The next day (Sunday), we drove all over St. George to find a mechanic who could replace the stems. We couldn't find a soul. But, one of the attendants at a gas station called one of their kin, who came and helped us out. So, we got the 3 bolts put back on, and drove our way back to Salt Lake City.

So, this is the story of how the car snubbed me. More accurately, the car POWNED me.

Now you know.

5 comments:

Katscratchme said...

That's just sad!!! What happened, that is.. not your attempt at changing a tire. I probably would have cried and looked for a place to bury myself.

Anonymous said...

LOL! It reminds me of when I was attempting to put the hoses on our washing machine...I pulled as tight as I could, turned on the washer, and water sprayed everywhere. I called up Jeremy and told him the sad news that we needed new hoses. He came home, and after exerting enough energy to pierce a nectarine, he solved the problem...

Zaphod said...

Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty, unless.... I don't remember any more than that. It seems to me that once the bolts broke off, you were "stubbed" rather than "snubbed". I had that happen once on the Chevy Corsica. I got a couple of the new bolts just in case. The Corsica's gone, but I still have the part. In fact I have parts for all of the cars I have ever owned. How dumb is that?

Jen said...

Now I feel snubbed. . . ya loser! We stopped for you, too, you know. Thanks for leaving us out. . . Nobody loves me . . . everybody hates me. . .I'll just eat some worms! *sniff* *sob* *boo hoo* (ya get the point. . .)

LOL

Chris said...

Sorry about that. You are right. There was the whole calvary that went with us to Walmart for a few hours. I would have been up a crick if it wasn't for my family. Praises to all who helped me on that P.O.S. day.