
I just finished reading a book entitled "Chickens in the Headlights" (left), which reminded me much of my own childhood. It also taught me that as we go through life, it is important to "find joy in the journey" and to stick together as a family. After reading this book, I realized that each day that we spend on this earth, and with our family is a treasure to be remembered always and how important it is to write them down. Thus, I have re-started keeping a journal! I know, I know. Again. Well, this time should be much better, now that I am not just writing to a void that no one will ever read, including myself (that's how I felt about my early journals in my youth). Not that I want any one to go snooping around and reading what I write, but maybe someone one of my own kids will find joy in what I wrote, and/or find something that will help them in their life. I also started thinking about how diligent dad has been over the years with writing in his journal. What did he write in them? Is it all spiritual stuff, or is there stuff that happened while we were kids? If the time comes that we will have the chance to read them, I fear that it will be a challenge to decipher his handwriting! Or maybe that is how he writes! In code! I thought about that a couple of times. I even wrote a bit in Chinese in one of my missionary journals. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it says now. So no, no writing in code.
In any case, if any of you want a good read, and a good laugh, and reminders of our childhood, pick up this book (I checked it out from the library). I read it in less than a week. It really is an easy read, and after a couple of chapters, you will be hooked.
I don't want to give it away, but yes, there are chickens in the story. Remember our chicken experience as kids? Well, in the coup de grace in our lives was somewhat better with the chicken that chased me around the yard, but the experience in the story is just as good!
Go read the book, if you haven't already, and let's chat about it.
Cheers.
2 comments:
Hmmm...yet another thing to check out at the library whenever I can get myself to go anywhere with three kids....
No chicken memories for me. All the fun stuff stopped when we moved to California and I started remembering things! Hee hee!
I am often enticed by the journal section at Barnes and Nobel, but then I have to remind myself I have stacks of half-written in journals in my filing cabinet. I will have to content myself with my blogging, as it seems to be the only consistent means of me writing anything down. Good luck!
P.S. Your writing won't need a Urim and Thumim like Dad's will.
That's funny. When I saw the title of your blog I immediately remembered the headless chicken that chased you around the yard. That was hysterical.
I still tell that story to friends.
Post a Comment