
These are old sacrament cups that are made out of glass! These were used by the church between the 1920's and the 1950's. In Elder Hales book 'Return', he explains how he used to individually clean these glass cups each week with his family.
Before the glass cups were used, they had metal cups. I remember when I was a kid we used paper cups. Metal to glass to paper to plastic.
4 comments:
The evolution of the sacrament cup...I miss the paper ones.
very interesting... :)
I am glad that the teachers quorum isn't responsible for cleaning cups - the cups would never be clean :) (I have two boys who are teachers and I know how they clean)
i remember the paper ones - I wonder why we went to plastic
Just for the record. Paper cups are still used, and are preferable in many instances because they do not make any noise when they are put back into the tray. However, we went to plastic cups at the request of some of the older people in our ward, because they could not grip the paper cup with their fingers without rushing it. That is why we now use plastic. You will notice that frequently paper towels are put in the bottom of the trays in order to quiet the sound of the dropping plastic cups. Additionally, before the great flu epidemic at the beginning of the last century, there was only one cup. You work out the faith necessary for that sort of experience, and the resultant love and union that there was then among the saints.
The word is "crushing" not "rushing"
Post a Comment