Tonight, after giving Jacob a bath, I dressed Jacob in a new pair of pajamas. Not those crummy Ojamas, but Spider Man Pajamas. This pair had a button up top. All the while Jacob was crying because he wanted to keep taking a bath. But as soon as I started putting on the top and put his arms through the sleeves and started buttoning up the buttons, Jacob stopped crying and said, "Dad, Look, I have Spider Man Coat for Pajamas!" and laughed hysterically. He kept repeating it, and laughed like a crazy man.
Speaking of which, Jacob has been acting kind of crazy lately. He has been saying mean things like, "I hate you!" and "I'm going to put you in the basement with the witch (or monster)!" and "I'm going to cut you in half!" and "I'm going to peel off your skin!"
What's up with that? Caleb never said those type of things at 3 years old. It makes me wonder if Jacob needs a psychologist.
6 comments:
Too much TV or videos /other kids? What's important is that you tell him how to be kind and say kind things. And how to talk "sanely" about things that bother him. If he becomes physically aggressive to other children because he can't properly express his anger, then he needs gentle intervention of some kind.
He is spending too much time IMing his friends with "emoticons": "Gimme some skin!"
Has he been playing WOW with you in the evenings? LOL
Just read this today:
"Over the last three decades, the one overriding finding in research on the mass media is that exposure to media portrayals of violence increases aggressive behavior in children."
The quote is from the journal Pediatrics.
There is one thing I have learned: don't give it power. "Stupid" has become a power word in our house. We made a huge deal about it, and now Joshua mutters it under his breath when he is mad. But I think mom is right. Fortify good things, and hopefully he will let go of aggressive behavior. I have noticed that when Joshua watches less TV he is more pleasant. He isn't as crazy or out of control.
Perhaps Jacob needs play-do to focus his mental energy...
Post a Comment