During dinner, my wife Tammy was telling me that it's going to get near 40 degrees this weekend and it might be a good time to winterize our Swamp Cooler. Over the years, I seem to be getting better at it, but I still manage to get my hands all cut up. Sharp pointy objects. This year was no exception. Before I knew it, I had blood spewing forth. But, I had a job to get done. I proceeded to pull the plug on the pan. I noticed that there was an exceptional amount of goo this time around. I have used Aspen pads in the past, but I think part of the problem was that I used a slightly smaller size. I recall the directions did say to make sure to use the right size for proper ventilation. As it turns out, it probably is also to make sure that dirt and junk don't get in the water. And, I repeat, there was a bunch of GOO and GOOP in the pan. So, I decided that this year, it was more of a Bog Cooler than a Swamp Cooler.
Speaking of Bog, I remember the first time I used the word bog. It was in my younger years, and one time I got mad and called Jenny, a, a, a BOG! Jenny said, "A Bog? What is a Bog? That isn't even a word!" And I said, "Yeah, too, it is a word, and you are it!" And Jenny said, "Oh yeah, then what does it mean?" And I said, "I'm not telling you, you BOG!" I waited until Jenny went somewhere, and I went and got a dictionary out of Dad's den, and looked it up. As I was looking it up, Jenny sprung out of nowhere and said, "Ah HA! I knew you didn't know what that word meant!" But, at that point, I knew what a Bog was. And Jenny was it!
In any case, I got the goop out of the Bog Cooler, and cleaned up the cooler real good, and covered it with the ever shrinking canvas cover, and put on the straps. Climbed off the roof, and drained the water hose. Then, I went upstairs to put the styrofoam in the shaft. As I was doing that, Caleb asked "Dad, what is that bandage on your hand?" And I told him that a monster had bit me while I was on the roof. I also told him that it was a family curse. He asked what a curse was, and I told him that it was something that happened to you all the time. Indeed, the Hyde's are cursed with getting hurt while doing DIY projects.
So, until next season, my Bog worries are over.
4 comments:
LOL! (I remember the BOG word incident!!)
And it is a Hyde curse!!! And it follows you even if you get married and change your last name!! I nearly took off my index fingernail when we were trying to assemble furniture after we moved. Then, while trying to raise the lawnmower height last week, I pinched my middle finger with some kind of "pinching" tool and spewed blood everywhere. We should purchase stock in Bandaids.
"It's a blessing, and a curse" -- Adrian Monk
jzmbqbni: The Hyde curse, spoken under one's breath so that no one else will use it.
I tried to teach Joshua a good word to call someone who was annoying them and they wouldn't know what he said: TROGLODYTE! He could actually repeat it, but didn't get enough reinforcement for it to stick. Now if I could just get Dara to blurt out TROGLODYTE! (instead of RETARD!) ... LOL
LOL! Yeah! I will have to remember that... What if you get hurt if you DON'T DIY? I get hurt just walking around my apartment...Perhaps since I am the last kid I got the residue at the bottom of the curse barrel...
Post a Comment