Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Does 1 = .9999999 infinity?

I had this conversation last week with a co-worker. I want to know what you all think about this. Does 1 = .99999999 infinity?

7 comments:

Katscratchme said...

Perhaps I'm an exactist (is that a word?) but it seems to me that regardless of infinity, you will always be missing even the most minuscule portion of whatever you are quantifying. It may not be enough for most people to make any fuss about, but anything short of the perfect whole, is still short of perfection.

Jen said...

I agree with Kat. It aint the whole enchilada.

Anonymous said...

Ditto.

Trillium said...

For most practical math applications, they are equal. Think of sales tax, for example, .0675 percent which always "rounds up" to the nearest penny: 7 cents on a dollar. If it was .09999infinity percent on a dollar, it would, of course, be 10 cents.

However, in God's terms of infinity (and "jots and tittles") they are not equal.

Rebecca's Oasis said...

i agree with mom

Zaphod said...

I have a similar conundrum. If you are a million miles away from a point, and every second you move half the distance toward the point, how long will it take you to get to the point. The answer is, of course, never.

Trillium said...

Is that why it takes you so long to "get to the point"?